Students, faculty and staff should take steps daily to ensure their personal safety. Below are some tips for staying safe on and off campus.
- Avoid walking alone. Walk in pairs or groups.
- ALWAYS lock your apartment/home/dorm room, even if you are only leaving for a few minutes. Lock your door when you are home.
- CALL 911 ANYWHERE if you:
- See or experience anything that appears to be a threat to you or others
- See an act of violence or anyone in jeopardy
- Are verbally harassed or assaulted
- Need an officer for any reason
- Always let at least one person know where you are at all times. A quick text works!
- Watch out for suspicious and unusual behavior in your neighborhood. Get to know your neighbors so you can look out for one another.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Avoid poorly lit areas or areas with overgrown plants.
- Never approach vehicles to give directions – keep a safe distance. If you feel unsafe, run in the opposite direction.
- Keep a sober friend with you to provide sound judgment and a safe ride home.
- Never consume a drink you did not see made, or that you left unattended for any period of time.
- Change your online directory settings so the public cannot view your personal information.
- Whether you are approached on foot, called or emailed, never give out personal information until you have verified the authenticity of the person.
- If someone is harassing you by phone, report it to UTPD. Try to keep a log of the phone calls.
Emergency Applications for mobile devices
The University of Texas at Austin has been researching and testing a number of Emergency Applications (Emergency Apps) for mobile devices. The results of our investigation indicate that the best method to reach emergency assistance is to directly notify 911. The state of today’s technology and existing infrastructure limits the accuracy of location data and hinder response through non direct 911 responses.
Austin Police Department App
APD has partnered with Austin-based startup company MobilePD to develop this application in an effort to increase transparency and openness with the community, with the ultimate goal of increasing crime tips and reports from citizens. AustinPD is free and available via the iTunes Store, the Google Play Store and the mobile web for other platforms.